I woke up and realized that I'd totally forgot to wish my mom happy mother's day last night when she called. In fact, I was so sleepy I passed the phone to my sis... aw man, major guilt trip; then somehow I started remembering all the instances when I'd been less than a good daughter to my mom and my heart sank even deeper...
So I sprang outta bed and called her. Thank God I'm a morning person. =P She was really happy that I called. Oooh wish I could give her a big hug and bake her heart shaped cookies or something...
This mother's day had made me very aware of how incredibly blessed I am. I mean, I'm not bragging, but my mom is the coolest. She really is; I just can't imagine life without her.
Maybe it's coz this is the longest I've ever been away from home.
We went to church this morning, and the pastor was telling us mother's day is typically a happy day where everybody celebrates with their moms, but there're people who actually dread this day - like people who can't seem to conceive, etc. But I think he left out another catergory of people. People who've lost their moms...
May had lost both her parents by the time she was 13. Everytime I think about it, it blows me away. It just seems like the most excruciating experience for a kid. For anyone, really. My mom lost her mother when she was 13; she told me sometimes the effects can last forever. We didn't know that bout her when we were younger, but she was quite a disturbed girl back then. Jesus was and is the only one who pulled her through those dark times; same goes for May.
I could tell May was really shaken up; just a few days ago she was telling me how she cried when she saw the graduaute students streaming out of the convocation center with their proud parents and relatives surrounding them and hugging them; she knew she wouldn't have that on her convocation day - she only has her elder sister.
When I saw her during service, how I wished I had all the right words and thoughtful actions that would make her feel better, that would be at least be of a little comfort to her. I know it sounds totally sappy, and all I did was give her a gentle nudge and asked if she was okay (what a stupid, stupid question), but I felt so much, almost as if I could imagine being in her shoes completely.
We had a small BBQ party at Firman's place earlier; the food was quite nice, but everytime I take a bite of those hot-off-the-grill chicken or corn or whatever, I swear I could've heard my mom nagging me about the heaty foods, to at least let them cool down a bit before I even attempt to increase my cancer risk with all those charred pieces of meat. Oh well, like Mavis said, we're all gonna die anyway. =P
Currently listening to: United... this is getting too predictable *gRin*