Went to Meridian Mall to gather some information for my news story assignment this morning. Had to interview several people, which turned out to be surprisingly fun. Americans can be so friendly sometimes. *gRin*
I was sitting on a bench jotting down additional notes when I saw three elderly aunties with oversized sunglasses and trousers that came up to their tummies doing some window shopping. The sudden thought of May, my sis and I actually turning into these three possible future replicas of us engulfed my mind in a most horrid way. Only difference is that instead of hip and cool stores like Abercrombie & Fitch, the older version of 'us' were gushing over some discounted Tupperware containers in a
Tupperware specialty store.
Yes, there is such a thing. *shuddeR*
I just came back from a City COuncil meeting not too long ago, and I was actually quite eager to check it out despite my professor's warnings on how dreadfully boring and tedious covering these meetings could be. Apparently it's right up there with school board meetings and bowling competitions. Heh just kidding. I really wanted to see how these things work; I got to meet the Mayor and all the other council members, saw how they run the city and go through every meticulous detail that concerns the city. They actually talk about trash bin covers and outdoor seatings. Hm.
It was a real experience. I saw three camera crews from three different channels, and I got to see them in action. One of the broadcast reporter did exactly what I'd learnt in class - he wore presentable clothes, came early (as did I, ahem) to check out the people, talked to the usual people who always seemed to have all the important info, smiled at inexperienced student reporters with pink notebooks... ok I made the last one up. But he did. *bEam* And at that very moment, I knew I was meant to be in this line of business...
Yeah ok. Enough crap. But one of the broadcast engineers did start talking to me. He was an elderly man with a white moustache and really animated eyes, and the first thing he asked me was, "So are you one of those people who has a fetish for boring meetings, or are you here for a school project?" ;)
After freaking me out about how most journalists and broadcasters don't get paid the way they ought to be and how I should find another day job to support this doomed interest of mine, he said something inspiring enough to make me disregard all the things he'd said earlier, "There's passion in your eyes, I can see it."
But still, maybe I should look more closely into a double major with advertising. =P