It's strange how SMSing (or text-msging) is hardly a part of my life anymore. I used to send about 40-50 text messages a day back home; Keong being the usual recipient, of coz. 0=)
What can I say? Some people run, some play chess; me, I type. Hahah! Just kidding~. My friends in Inti Nilai used to marvel at the way I seem to churn out messages like my fingers had minds of their own (the suspicion comes from time to time); they even suggested that I join a SMS-typing contest. But, dowan la, true typers don't need shallow confirmation from major corporation schemes one. Hehee. Bleh. Just playing. 0=)
I suppose I got my inspiration to be one of the quickest typers out there from my sis. Seeing her type with such eloquence and speed made me wanna be just like her. Do I sound like a teary-eyed winner at a football match yet? *wiNk*
I remember Mun Yip organized an ice-breaker that was actually a SMS-ing contest. It was my first time attending CG26, and I could hardly believe I had the chance to impress these older (thus more mature and less experienced typers =P) people. Yes, yes, very childish. So shoot me. =P I was the quickest, but Mun Yip eliminated me coz I had one tiny letter wrong, so Eddy got the prize. Grrr. Hehee, but didn't matter, Eddy gave me the much-coveted prize - a Kelogg Frosties tin pencil box. =P
After the game they mentioned about some guy who's really fast at typing, and how it was too bad he wasn't there that night. I was like, wHatever man, I can take him on. =P
Was a week later that I was introduced to that guy - me daRling. Hehee~.
In fact, we pretty much started by SMS-ing. I got my very first message from him when I was hanging out in YY's house. *gRin* I also remember my nosy brother reading all my
extremely private SMSes from Keong. And conveniently told my mom all about them, naturally. Something about melting into a puddle, I don't quite remember. 0=) Ok I do remember, but I'll pierce my eyelids (OUCH!) before I type it here. They had a laughing fit over it, I'll give you that.
Which was why I was kinda shocked to find out that
China's filtering text messages to control criticism and block certain information from circulating. Isn't that a blatant act of what Americans are so fond of calling 'invasion of privacy'? I mean, text messages are like private conversations too, innit? I get squirmish enough when my own siblings read my messages, what more a total stranger who has total access to my daily ramblings and life details. It's like surrending a thick chunk of your diary (nOt a blog) to ...um, a total stranger. Thus giving people opportunities to blackmail you, or worse, publicly humiliate you... *eEps*
Sometimes it baffles me how such a huge country like China could get away with these sort of outlandish plans without any real opposition from their billions of citizens.