Note: I actually wrote this entry about a week ago but I didn't wanna post it coz I had a feeling my professor found out about my blog. So I decided to wait till she finished grading all our papers before posting it. 0=) Just to be on the safe side, y'know. And I got a pretty good grade for this course, btw. *gRin*
I've been doing pretty all right throughout the summer course, but the last test on public affairs was kinda screwed up. I was crushed when I got back my paper; I'm not sure if it was coz of the alarmingly lower grade or because...
It was coz of the grade.
My professor commented that
some of us were unclear about official terms and government jargon, causing us to use the wrong words at the wrong places. She suggested that we brush up on this area by revising our high school governmental studies textbook.
*stRuck duMb*
Hold on a second. They
had a class on this? That totally puts me on uneven ground, innit? I've never even taken that class; heck, I grew up with Rukun Tetangga, not City Council or whatever.
Newsflash:
I'm not FROM here! *hUffs & rAntS*
I'm a little worked up here; gotta calm myself down before the whole victimizing oneself oh-that's-what-I-get-for-being-a-crummy-international-student crap. Unlike some people, I don't believe in victimization, especially when it concerns
moi. Too pitiful for my liking. =P
*cHanNels miNd to oThEr thIngs...*
I've managed to finish watching the three Godfather movies this week! I kinda had to sit through it a couple of times coz it could get a bit dreary (I'm awaiting the hate mails from devoted Godfather fans), but I wanted to finish watching the whole thing mainly because it's such a huge part of American culture; I mean, you see people in
movies impersonating people from the Godfather, y'know? Like Tom Hanks in You've Got Mail. And don't even bother to count the millions of times we've heard this on TV : Oh my Gawd, you've gotta be kidding me. You've never watched the Godfather before? Get outta here!
Switch the phrases around; it doesn't matter. That's the beauty of American slang. They consist of a few hundred phrases that are interchangeable and yet still maintain its redundancy.
Here are a few examples:
1. You're kidding me.
2. No way.
3. Get outta here.
4. *inseRt pRofAnitiEs heRe*
And the one that takes the cake; everybody say it now...
5. Oh My Gawd! *mOuth wiDe oPen in diSbelieF @ hAnds coVeR ovEr moUth @ eYes fiXated oN sOmetHing iN a diStAnCe* (Take your pick.)
Ok, I think I've ranted on long enough.
Disclaimer: The comments given throughout the course of writing this entry has been wildly influenced by the blogger's current emotions and thoughts, and should not be used against the blogger under
any circumstances.