A couple of weeks ago the music director of our church brought up Acts 9, about Saul's conversion. I only realized how powerful and meaningful his message was today, when I was reading the bible, and I totally remembered every point he made based on that chapter. Man, the speakers here are anointed or what.
Heh. And it was such a refreshing concept. I mean, most of us didn't have to grow up in a christian environment to know stories about Moses (Prince of Egypt), Noah's Ark, Adam and Eve... they're like the Julia Roberts and Jude Laws of Bible World or something.
But how many of us have grew up thinking, wouldn't it be awesome to be Ananias? How many of us even
knew about this man since we were little?
Please don't answer that the wrong way and ruin the point I am about to make. =P
Ananias is the guy God sent to find Saul, place his hands on him to restore his sight. Sounds simple enough, except for the fact that Saul's been persecuting Jesus's disciples, sending them to prison and everything. And he told God as much. But God insisted (duh, like anyone can tell God what to do, hehee), saying that Saul is his chosen instrument to carry his name before the Gentiles and their kings and before the people of Israel.
So off he went in search of his own doom. I mean, in search of Saul. But hey, to live is Christ, to die is gain, no? =) (Well actually Ananias couldn't have known that exact phrase at the time, coz it was written by Saul/Paul later on. Um, ok, back to story.) So yeah, he did as he was told, and some thing like scales fell from Saul's eyes, and he went on to become a great disciple of God...
Honestly, I think I would sorta freak out if God told me to go to someone who's itching to put me behind bars or worse, murder me. And I might go like, but why, God? Why this... this... man who does not even love you or believe in you? Why choose him for the great things you want him to accomplish? What about me, your faithful servant?
But Ananias did it. Those thoughts probably passed through his mind as well, but the bottomline was,
he did it. He did as he was told. And it was a move of great obedience and impact, no joke. He might not receive all the credit this world had to offer, but rest assured he's amply rewarded in heaven.
Doesn't it make you wanna go like, Wow. What an honorable man.
No? You ain't human. Bleh. =P Heh jk. I just watched Men of Honor; the movie does things to you.
But it's so, so... I dunno, related to our lives? We always think about doing big things for Jesus, gonna impact the world, bada bing bada boom! But not everybody can be Paul, or Billy Graham or Marty Sampson (heh, he's big to me, bleh =P). There's not enough space for all that celebrity attitude. Hehee kidding. Gosh, isit all right to kid about these things?
Right. But everybody can choose to be Jesus's beloved follower, an Ananias, if you will. Not too glamorous, not too comfortable at times, but significant enough in God's plans, and just perfect in God's eyes.