We had a contest today for our Japanese language class. Yes, I'm taking Japanese and it's not just for pleasure; my major requires me to learn a new language/culture. 0=)
Anyways, we were split into groups of four and we've been practising the whole week for it. I really thought my team would win, I mean, we have this Japanese major guy, and *aHem* me? Hello? ...And we did pretty good, so it was a bit disappointing when we didn't. Bleh. But it's all right. Who needs those pitiful 5 extra credit points.
...Sigh. But it was fun. *bEam*
I hafta finish the Iliad by Homer by next week for my Classical Studies class. I'm wAay behind schedule for this class, mainly coz the direct translation he assigned to us is so brain-numbing. He wanted us to 'get as closely a translation as possible to the original Homeric text'.
Oh it's darn close all right; it certainly sounded like Greek to me at times.
But I do love the story, so I'll endure. *sTopS tO pOndeR* Actually that sounded a li'l oxymoronic - if I love the story, why would I hafta
endure it? Wouldn't I be totally enjoying the classic text? ...Our mythology professor is a bloody genius; once he read a whole passage of the original Greek text in the Iliad, and it was
so impressive, everybody was clapping at the end.
I got a mail from OBS today! It was quite a surprise; turns out it was my "Golden Jubilee Roll of Honor" Certificate, hehee. Unfortunately, after four months of merciless traveling and rough handling (the cert is dated 5th of June), it has been reduced to a crumpled piece of... fancy paper. But fret not, the golden seal and original signature of First Admiral Thiruchandran remains intact and unharmed. Heh.
Felt rather nice to receive something from back home, even though it is a formal, rather informal one. Oh well. =)