It was 6.50a.m and I was seriously regretting opening my big mouth when James asked for volunteers to man the food stall
during the first shift.
I know I was pretty pleased with myself for volunteering, especially when I found the food stall comfortably tucked underneath a huge tree, away from the glaring sun... but at that moment I felt like heaving my cell phone out of the window and snuggle deeper into the cooling cotton bedspread.
But duty comes first. 0=) Managed to get up and got ready, woke bro and girlfriend up, and was at the field by...7.45am. Not too shabby, I'd say.
My co-volunteers were there already, looking sorta bored. I stared at the boxes of sausage buns we were supposed to sell and I figured I knew the source of boredom. My nose picked up the scent of sweet pastry and roasted peanuts, and my eyes followed suit.
Omigosh. Chinese pancakes. The thick kind. Right next to us. I remember craving for those when I was in Inti, ever since I saw the pancake seller but
did not buy coz I was walking to class. Didn't wanna look like a country bumpkin in class, you see...
Anyways. Business was slow, although it did mysteriously picked up pace whenever Keong came around to check things out... maybe it was a conspirary. =P Hehee.
Felt a rush of memories flooding into my mind as the AMC marching band and cheerleaders were performing. I couldn't help but think,
did I really dance, jump and grin like those girls out there when I was 17? In public??
...Ignorance is bliss.
Jason came around 10 minutes before my shift was over, which was just as well coz my co-volunteers had left without a trace. He helped out, we caught up with each other, he came up with the oh-so-original analysis that business were better when
he was around...
All was well till Tien came over to take over the stall and Jason, with all his British chivalry, told her he would cover for her, and that she could leave.
To cut the story short, we ended up selling buns till the last 45 minutes. But it wasn't so bad - Andrea, Eddy and Yean Yik came soon after, and it
was one of the most cooling sites in the whole carnival.
At one point, Kivin and Alethea wanted to drench Keong real badly, so I helped them out by distracting him and taking away his cell phone. SOrry~~ 0=D
I wished I'd taken pictures or something, of the carnival. Oh well.
I had fun. Mom and bro and girlfriend were there on the preparation day and the actual carnival, doing the things I'd always wanted my whole family to join in, so I'm really glad. It's really amazing - when I was 14-15, I used to pray and hope that my parents and siblings would be active in church, and that our relationships would be united by our love for God...
And now it's becoming true. Well, sorta. My relationship with my bro is held up more by mutual agreement to not rat on each other rather a shared love for all things holy. =P But we're getting there, by God's grace hehee.
Ok la I know he loves me la. I love him also what. But you don't say things like that. Yech.
Although after the camera incident, I wonder if he still feels the same...
Anyways anyways. Maybe one day my
whole family will open up to Jesus and receive His forgiving grace and abundant blessings~!
Gosh I'm chirpy today. *bEam*