<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6521234?origin\x3dhttp://blessedbubbz.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Wednesday, August 31, 2005Y

In my Southeast Asian Religions class today (it's a course requiremnet - 'nuff said), I learnt that Southeast Asians typically value brother-sister relationships the most, just like in other regions it's the father-son relationships that's most valued, or mother-daughter, etc. I was surprised, initially. I never thought of it that way. But then I got to thinking about how my dad and mom still keep in close contact with their siblings, and my own sibling relationships... I figured it made sense. The professor was saying it's coz of how siblings grow up together, and they go thru life phases at the same time, face the same contemporary issues, yadda3. That is why, he said with a smile, in most southeast asian cultures married (or even dating) couples refer to each other as an 'older brother' or a 'younger sister'. I know it's true, what with the Malays' 'Bang' and the Chinese's kor kors and mui muis (we all know what that's all about) , but when he put it that way, and hearing it from an outsider, made it sound... kinda twisted. But it was all right - I actually paid attention to 95% of the lecture. *bEam* Bumped into Napolean Dynamite - the female version - on the bus today. Never really knew such characters existed. Always kinda thought that American teen flicks are biased and stereotyped, y'know? Huge, plastic glasses (nOt like mine, mind you =P), big backpacks, high rise jeans... But I really didn't think much about her till she started freaking out to everyone in the bus about being late for class, and how she NEVER misses class, etc... I felt a li'l sympathetic really - I know how she feels, second day of class, bus running late, not sure where class buildings are... but I usually keep all that nerves and worries inside (an Asian thing, maybe), juz so girls like the ones in the bus today won't be entertained at my expense. But she got to her class ok. =) Felt bad for actually smiling back at one of the girls who were laughing at her. Instantly wished I hadn't done that. Argh. Where's the line between being polite and standing up for your principles?

10:26 a.m. Photobucket