<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6521234?origin\x3dhttp://blessedbubbz.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Saturday, September 10, 2005Y
Scuba Duba

I never really blogged much bout my first scuba diving experience last month. So here. =D It was fun. It's like a completely different world down there. It's so quiet, and slow-moving... except for the fishes of course. They swim so fast it's impossible to catch them. Didn't stop me from trying tho hehee. But scuba-diving is serious stuff. The first time I went down, I was actually still in my snorkelling gear, flapping my flippers and scaring away the small fishes, and the divemaster just said ok when I jokingly asked, and changed my gears. Chucked the oxygen pump into my mouth, deflated my life jacket and slapped on some weights onto my waist (you can't drown sink without those things - strangely flattering, lol), and we were on our way down. Of course he didn't find it necessary to tell me to gulp as we sank lower, pressure changing and all. My ears were hurting and it didn't feel right. I thought my nose and eyes were gonna bleed and pop right open or something. I mean, you see it in movies right. Happens when you climb real high up or dive real low. =P Anyway. He figured something wasn't right, and he kept checking my lungs to see if I was ok (I felt violated =P But it's for my safety... I guess), and then he decided to go back up and tell me the normal procedures. Riiight. Well after the false start, it was cool. Just amazing to be down there - I wasn't even scared! Honestly - I used to be a lil scared of the ocean coz of Jaws and crappy shows like that, but after knowing Christ, I've let go quite a few of my fears. Best decision I've ever made. =) Though there's a whole different debate on whether God chose His people or we choose to believe in Him... Beside the point. Was fun, so the next day we were at it again, this time with another couple who's more experienced. They've had seven months of real scuba training and that was their 7th time diving. Couple guy: But we're still learning la, it takes practice. My bro: Really ah. This is our second time diving. Can go so deep? 30 feet wor. Couple guy: Well- Divemaster: Can can. I take y'all down sure can one. Don't worry. Just for fun. Bro and I: ... The second dive wasn't that successful. The waves were a bit choppy coz we were in the open sea facing the South China Sea, and the waters were way deeper than the first day. But hey, live like there's no tomorrow right. Felt like there was no tomorrow when I deflated my life jacket and attempted to swim toward where Divemaster told us to. MY BLEEDING OXYGEN PUMP WAS NOT PUMPING AIR! I felt suffocated, and my lungs felt constricted, like it was shrinking. I quickly pressed the button to inflate my life jacket, but the bleeding thing would inflate. I struggled to swim toward the surface, trying not to panic... but the weights were weighing me down. It took all my energy to keep half of my head above the surface, breathing in salt water and air occasionally. Thank God my bro turned back and saw me. He swam back and tried to inflate my life jacket which of course didn't work, and then he tried on my oxygen pump which of course weren't working as well. He quickly inflated his own life jacket to the max and asked me to hold onto him. We both didn't really know the full workings of all the scuba gear, so it was really a blessing when the couple guy came and checked out my equipment. Scuba equipment. =p And turned out my oxygen tank wasn't even switched on. Now whose bloody fault was that? I'm not saying the Divemaster was irresponsible and irrational - who am I kidding, of course I am - but it's true. The couple learnt every function of the equipment, and they checked the tanks, the straps, everything, while we just waited for the Divemaster to strap us on. We asked him - of course we did, my bro and my sis and information junkies - about the functions and stuff, but he said we needn't bother coz we're juz out to have fun. Pffftt. Anyways. I opted out of that dive right after that. Didn't care if anyone would think I'm a chicken - was actually one of the bravest decision I've made. Not caring what others will think of me, and take care of myself first. Coz by golly, I was shaken. Initially I really wanted to try again, coz I was still curious about what was down there and what we could see. But the moment he made the 'go down' hand signal, and halfway down I came back up. My throat was like BLOCKED, so not kidding. Probably coz I was trying so hard to keep from sobbing. I know it sounds really dramatic of me, but sometimes after a really shocking incident, the next step toward recovery is to cry. It makes things better. Really. So yeah I was like screw it I'm going back to the boat, see y'all in a bit. Divemaster was like, oh no noo I'll take care of you, I'll hold your hand. NNnnnope. But I did go for the subsequent dives. See, I just needed to cry it out of my system. =P Once we got down and we were just surrounded by baby jellyfishes. Man, f-r-e-a-k-y. Divemaster kept telling us they don't sting, but I say my foot they don't sting. You come down and try swimming among them. He was in the boat still fixing stuff, you see. But when he finally got down and led us into the water, he realized it was the wrong spot coz it was way too deep and way too blurry. Seriously, you could see nuts. You could stare out 10-20 feet and it's just blue. Blue-green. Like something can just charge right into your face and you wouldn't know it till it hits you coz it's so blurry. But for some reason I wasn't scared. Prayer works. ;) My bro was scared though hehee. The last diving spot was beautiful though. Great coral sites, with all the pretty fishes everywhere! Gosh... I scratched myself on on a coral at one point hehee, but I didn't feel it. Corals are poisonous though. And we saw sharks! But I think I've told everybody that by now. Well the main reason I wanted to blog about this (waaay too late to keep it short eh) is coz I thought the scuba experience was a unique one for my siblings and I. I think as we grow older, we're less vocal about our love and care for each other, but under the sea, in the midst of potential risks and fears, we just looked out for each other. We held hands most of the time so we wouldn't lose each other, and when we didn't we kept track of each other. It reminded me of when we were much much younger, and holding hands were still an innocent and protective act, not one that makes my brother cringe. =P And my bro didn't make fun of me for opting out on that one dive. That was nice of him. I guess everybody grows up at one point. ;D

7:30 a.m. Photobucket