I was lying down on me bed last night, playing a game in my head. I'd choose an alphabet at random, then I'll find a word that starts with that particular alphabet that describes our Father. (And it can't be a typical word like great or loving or.. y'know.)
There's power in praising the Lord, no? =)
Then I chanced upon P. Mmm... passionate, the word blinked in soft pink lights in my head. (I have a pretty vivid imagination =P)
That woke me up a little. Passionate. It sounds so... vulnerable. So human. Almost soft. Not like the usual booming, heart-thumping praises like almighty, awesome, or all-powerful, or...
Man they all start with As. No wonder I was stuck at B.
Anyways. I was so struck by the little revelation that I simply had to share it to everyone. So I got up, switched on my table lamp, and... jot down some notes on a post-it note.
Hehee it was 3 something in the morning! I wouldn't be able to blog about it coherently.
Not that I'm doing a fabulous job right now.
I need to start all over.
And I realize that even though that word seldom pops up when we worship our Father, it does fit Him well. He was passionate enough about us to not leave us here to rot on earth, passionate enough to provide us another way to live, passionate enough to painstakingly weave Himself into all the intricacies of our lives and our souls.
"For a long time I have kept silent,
I have been quiet and held myself back.
But now, like a woman in childbirth,
I cry out, I gasp and pant.
I will lay waste the mountains and hills
and dry up the pools.
I will lead the blind by ways they have not known,
along unfamiliar paths I will guide them;
I will turn the darkness into light before them
and make the rough places smooth.
These are the things I will do;
I will not forsake them. - Isaiah 42:14-16
Dictionary.com (who needs Webster eh?) explains passionate as expressing strong emotions. And we know our Lord is that, all right. He was hurt and angry enough at the corrupted world to start all over with Noah's ark eons ago; eons later, He was missing us so much that He sacrificed His perfect son just so we can meet Him again.
"This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him... as an atoning sacrifice for our sins. - 1 John 4:9-10
If that's not passion, I don't know what is.
And His passion doesn't only extend to those who'd admitted their utter dependence on Him; it extends to
everyone. Not just the accomplished or the beautiful or the brave, not just the ones who fit into the clean, Christian sphere, but everyone who breathes in the air and walks on the earth that He created.
We can say we're passionate about music, biology, sports, blogging, whatever. But it simply can't compare to God's passion for His creations - us. Imagine the drive and passion you have for that particular area in your life - drawing, computers, writing, your friendships, your love life, food (?) - and multiply it by infinity; that's about how much passion God has for us. And us meaning all humankind; not just the churchy people.
It boggles my mind that a magnificent Being like our Father would put so much effort on us, even though we fail Him again and again. But He does; coz His passion for us never dies out.
And I think it's only fair that we take a bit of that passion of His, and concentrate it on the people around us. I think He'd appreciate that.
Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." - 1 John 4:11-12
"Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord', and rightly so, for that is what I am... I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you go them." - John 13:12-17