Have you tried spaced-out reading? Just find a seat in the bus, plug on your earphones, stare at whatever required reading you're supposed to do, follow the flow of words while trying to lip-sync to the song (literally) in your head and squinting at someone's tapping Nikes to see if it's the original, and 5-10 minutes would passed by before your eyes really latch onto the words, and you continue reading... and realize you hadn't missed much.
Scholars and professors should honestly try writing like Helen Fielding - witty, concise and to-the-point. Heck, you don't even need to be funny; just
cut the crap. Literally. Why do you need to include a whole paragraph (or two) of statistics and surveys when you're about to write what they actually
mean in the following paragraphs? It trips the reader up; it really does.
And what's with all the comma, comma, comma, semi-colon; comma, comma, full-stop sentences? BREAK 'EM UP pleasee! Why make people reread the sentence over and over again because they lost the point of the sentence by the end of it?

And another thing - prologues and introductions (and in some cases epilogues) should
not be more than 20 pages long. It's inhumane. Why prolong (oOOoorrRh so that's why they call those things PROLOgues... =P) the misery of actually starting to read the book? So not cool.

But what am I whining about. At least I have the opportunity to read. =)
And
perhaps (note the emphasis) even learn something from 'em. Hee.

I tend to end my posts like that huh. So goody-goody hor...

Hehee what can I say, I'm *siNgs* Mr. Brightside...~ That's a song, btw. By the Killers.
It's a survival thing. *shRug*
By the way, can it get any warmer here?

I'm almost afraid to ask.