At about 8.30 last night, I was staring at crumpled recipe for butterscotch bars that my sis printed out during the summer, seriously contemplating baking them bar cookies. Despite the fact that:-
1. I didn't have any of the ingredients.
2. It was 8.30 on a very dark and chilly Fall night.
3. My bike tires are almost flat and it's a heck of a job to pump it since it's on the bike rack downstairs and my pump is upstairs and I have to make multiple trips...
So naturally, I shrugged on my baby blue winter jacket, wrote down a grocery list, and hopped onto my deflated bike. Halfway down the road my hamstrings were complaining very unceremoniously that the bike
needs to be pumped, but it was do or die by then. Can't very well just turn back. So sayang all that effort to come out!
Um. So yeah, got the flour, sugar and everything, and my sis's cough medicine and stuff, stuffed em all into me backpack (I can never ride my bike with stuff hanging on the handlebar - my sis says it's coz my body is not balanced; I have very proportionate boobs, thank you very much!!! *iNdiGnaNt*) and rode home.
Could smell them delicious butterscotch cookies 45 minutes later. *siGhz conTenTly*
And if anyone ever gets bored of baking at all (although I can't figure out WHY anyone would... hee), they should try baking without any electrical help. At all. Besides the oven, of course.
It's so fun!!
I avoided using the microwave oven to warm up the butter and the brown sugar coz everyone knows about the story of the guy who stuck his hand in the microwave oven directly after it reheated his pizze and HIS WHOLE HAND BUBBLED AND BLISTERED INTO GOO, and who can forget the girl who reheated a mug of water in the microwave oven only to have the mug burst in her face while she was trying to make coffee with it?
... So use a
hot water bath instead!~ Just fill your sink with 1 or 2 inches of hot water, and stick your mixing bowl in there, and blend on, peeps! And it works so well coz you know you won't burn the delicate butter and sugar.
And you can also chuck away the electric mixer and mix the other ingredients like flour, eggs and whatnot with a spatula, while the mixing bowl is still in the hot water bath. This was an especially wonderful find for me coz more often than not I'd get lumps in the mixture and it won't be smooth till my whiny arm threatens to run off to Keon and not come back.
But in the
hot water bath, the mixture becomes smooth and creamy in less than 10 minutes!
So smart hor. My sister also say I smart. Heheheeee. 0=)
Just kidding la. I think I was more restless than smart, lol~
Mixing bowl should be stainless steel or something similar though. Best for even heating mar.