I just watched Rent. The new movie, not the famous musical. Well it's a movie about the famous musical so. *shrug*
It wasn't my first choice, honestly, because... sigh, I will hereby divulge one of my lesser known factoids.
I don't fancy musicals much. It's the only sort of art that my sciencey sis adores and I... just. can't. stand.
I dunno! Maybe my artsy-fartsy side juz wouldn't extend that far as to embrace performances where people sing and dance while they get mugged. Or walk down a busy street. Or fight in a bar brawl.
I just don't get it. *throws hands up air* Who DOES that?? When you get mugged, you scream and you cry and you pee in your pants. You don't lie down on the murky rainwater and tearfully sing about the changing world and all its vices. Especially not while your nose is flowing like the Mekong River during Monsoon season.
And people don't sing to each other in normal conversations. So why do it on a movie screen where fiction is supposed to imitate life? /STRESS I wish I can use that MSN emoticon here. =p
I mean, I know it's imagination taking flight, it's an expression of art and everything... but it still makes my insides crawl and groan at the same time.
Oh I should state that my irritation is so far, only toward musical on film, not musical plays per se.
Simply because I have yet to watch a real broadway play. My Fair Lady in SMI or Romeo & Juliet in ACS do NOT count. Nobody paid attention to the stage back then anyway. It was the seating arrangement itself that was of interest.
So Su and Wei Ming, my enthusiasm to want to watch a play in NYC or Chicago was NOT an act, my dearies. If anything, I need something to banish my unreasonable streak of dislike toward anything artsy-fartsy.
The first time I realize I didn't like musicals was after watching Moulin Rouge. Initially I was confused, baffled by my own reaction to a movie everyone had raved and cried over, a devastatingly beautiful musical film, creme of the crop. So I blamed my dislike to my parents' incessant talking and mumbling throughout the movie.
Boy, does the last paragraph sound like a homosexual's coming out story or what?? =p Btw, Rent, I found out, is The Romance Story for gays and lesbians. Coming out of the cinema, I heard two men in dark manly long coats and tasteful ties singing delicately to the tunes of Rent. Nuff said.
Then Phantom of the Opera, on film. I was bored to tears throughout the whole movie. They took 10 minutes singing a piece of conversation that could have been said eloquently in 15 seconds. The stroking of a delicate, rosy cheek takes forever as the actor tries to space out the action for a 6 minute song. And the lovely maiden helps him out by ducking demurely, to the lulling beat, nonetheless.
When we got out of the cinema, I was all set to trash the movie with my sister. Only to find my sis totally in love with the movie and wanting the original soundtrack. I got it for her for ...Christmas or something. Forgot. =p
I'm all up for drama; really I am. Tear up love letters in a flying rage, dash into the rain with a loved one (hee), smash up a surfboard coz your stepdad left your mom (courtesy of Lords of Dogtown - now tHat's a real movie =P); I'll welcome em with open arms (without cheesy grinny expression as is compulsory in any musical film =p).
Just... don't sing while you're doing stuff, can or not? *baNgs head on wall*
And what's with all the widened eyes and billion-watt teeth flashing all over the place??!? (faint)
I need to stop my addiction with MSN emoticons. =p
Maybe it's juz a backlash from my cheerleading experience. All the fake smiles and over-dramatic expressions that we need to do WHILST dancing. Never mind our knees were hemorrhaging from the excessive slamming onto concrete floors, or that our throats were sore from all the yelling. Who cares? Blind the crowd with your pearly whites and your life will be in order!
Ok, me go take chill pill now. XD