Mom told us to give her a call when we got toToronto.
So I did.
"Hi Ma~!"
"Ouui... reach Toronto adi?"
"Ya, juz reached."
"Ohh.." Fumbling noises in the background. "Cold or not?"
"Quite le... but still ok."
"Oh... Mommy's busy cooking le.. eh ah gugu is here! You talk to her first k..." Mom calls for my aunt.
"Arlo, Cindy! Gor Nen lo... how you celebrate there?"
"Not much celebrations here also, very cham one." People talking in the background. "A lot of people there ar? So noisy one."
"Yalor, Ah Kiu Gong they all also here, Popo, Man Yi Po.. Chinese New Year ma."
"Orrhh..."
"....Soooo, you nothing to do isit? Very late d no meh?? Should sleep lor right??"
..... "It's only 8.30pm here, Gu."
"Orh yes ar... mmm.. Eh GO OPEN THE DOOR JOANNE SOMEONE'S RINGING THE DOORBELL... aiya a lot of people coming adi.. mmm.. soo... I should probably go outside to welcome them lor-"
"Ooh..ok..." "EH JASON!! COME HERE YOUR SISTER IS ON THE PHONE, TALK TO HER!! Ok la har Cindy, you talk to your brother la, I hafta go first... you know la, Chinese New Year ma..."
"Uh huh."
"CINDY!"
"Kor? What you doing."
"Eating."
"Oh. Where's mom and dad?"
"Busy with stuff."
"Oh. Um. Well-"
"GU!! TALK TO CINDY ON THE PHONE!" The phone clunks heavily on the table.
"Ouuii... Cindy. Where's che che?"
"She's eating."
"Oohh... you not eating meh? Go eat also la, Chinese New Year ma."
".... Mommy leh?"
"Oh you wanna talk to mommy? Think she still busy... but I can call her I can call her-"
"Mm nvm le gu, I'll juz call... later. Or something."
"OOOHHH ok ok ok. You take care la har, bye bye." She hung up.
Family reunions. What's not to like.
Happy Chinese New Year.