Classes have started. First class of the semester - Media and the Law. Basically a law class; it's even held in one of the snazzy School of Law classrooms. Professor wears clean cut Burberry blazers with shoulder pads and straight-legged workpants - all immaculately ironed. She's a journalist with a law degree. She's funny, quick-witted and more lawyer than journalist, from her choice of words.
First half hour of the class was actually cool; law was the other major I'd seriously considered before choosing journalism, and I thought she was showing a good path for me to follow - first journalism, then law. *shRug*
An hour and half later, I was dozing off, all the while thinking - who in the world would go through this for four whole years??
Taking Publication Design 2 this semester too. Sounds like a lot of fun, projects include recreating a magazine, a poster, a logo (of any kind), and a CD package~! But professor seems a bit stricter than the last, so we'll see how things go.
Magazing Article Writing. Was two minutes late for the class coz I didn't know it was held in the basement. The door was shut, and the light on top that said "in use" was on. Shyte. Prof is a boisterous old man with tons of theatrics. He'd slam the table (no chance of dozing off there) with his fist, rant on about everything that came to his mind...
It's also the first time I hear a professor say the f-word in class.
But then he'd quieten down and tell us gently that all he wants to do with us this semester is to make us the best writer we can be. That we're in this together, so 'let's be foolish together, let's start this adventure, let's make it worthwhile together... and let something magical happen in here!'
Um.. ok. Waaaay different from the Malaysian professor. He even lets us determine our own projects, our own deadlines and such. Was too mind-boggling for me to understand till now, but I suppose I'll find out soon enough.
The class is also called 'The Class We Don't Talk About', coz it's such a rule-breaking class. And the classroom itself, hidden in the bowels of the building, is called 'The Hole'.
It's all very Harry Potterish, no?
But I was inspired. Strange. I came out of it wanting to be the best darn writer out there. I guess that has always been my unspoken resolution every year. I wanna be able to give others a place to escape from the world, but also a place to relate to the world out there. I wanna milk this writing tool I have for what it's worth and use it as a lighthouse that people will be drawn to, a lighthouse that leads people to the true source of my whole being - me Abba Father. =) It doesn't have to be a spritual helpbook, or a christian storybook, etc; but it has to leave traces of the One who owns my very thought and my everything, of coz.
Muz be unmistakeable ma. Hee.
It reminded me of last Sunday, when we had an hour to kill in the mall before our movie started, and I found this book. I sat down on one of the benches and juz fell headfirst into the story. It was nothing spectacular or romantic or funny, but it was engaging, to say the least. Normally, I can't read for too long in a crowded bookstore, but this time, man I was so drawn into it I didn't even realize Firman standing next to me, telling me we should go.
I wanna be that kinda writer oh. But this blog, on contrary to most beliefs, is not 'training'' for me to hone my skill, nor is it a 'testing ground' for my 'works and articles'. If all the writing courses and work requirements in the world has killed my joy for writing (which they did, at certain points of my academic life), I want this blog to be free of all that killjoy, coz I don't ever wanna lose my love for writing.