"You're watching Whose Line Is It Anyway, where everything is made up and the points don't matter. That's right - the points are like journalism degrees in a career gallery."
Ok so Drew Carey din really say that (yet), but one of these days I'm gonna slip that into his suggestion box.
Coz it's true. I went to a huge career fair the other day on campus, and even tho I managed to talk to some recruiters and hand in my resumes, nothing feels too promising. Maybe coz of what most of them replied after recovering from the shock of having a journalism grad actually in a
serious career fair for
serious majors.
"Well, we're specifically looking for software engineers and supply chain management people right now... but you know what you can do? You can log onto the careers part of our website, and check if we have any openings in the mass communications department. Here, lemme give you the website..."
One recruiter at the Motorola booth was so surprised at my major he actually nudged his colleague to come over and talk to me
together, coz he's "actually a software engineer, so I don't really know much about how the whole mass comm thing goes..." He wasn't being snide about it tho; he looked sincerely baffled.
By now most of you probably think that I'm juz attending the wrong career fair. But it was clearly stated that it was CommSciTech day, and the next day was Business Exchange day. And I went for
both days.
I know the major I chose is not the most trodden path. I'm aware of it everytime I tell someone new about it.
"Journalism? Wow (in disbelief, mind you, not in awe)."
"It's so cool that you get to study what you really like. Not like me, stuck in engineering. Hard like hell."
"Ohh... so what do you plan to do after that? CNN? Hahaa."
Most people are nice about it. I mean, I'm not saying I feel discriminated by my choice in major or anything. And I'd always been happy about my decision. My classes had always been exciting and different, and I'd always felt at home in the school of mass communications, unlike my upper secondary years.
Up until now, that is. Now I wish I'd chosen something more 'useful'. Something more 'sek heong', like Yean Yik once mentioned.
Bleh.
I'm so frustrated, my eyes are turning red. Actually juz my left eye. Probably juz an infection.