<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6521234?origin\x3dhttp://blessedbubbz.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Monday, May 26, 2008Y
So Dangerous

I was at the bank, waiting for my number to appear on the screen. A lady probably in her late forties walked towards me, her black high heels clicking crisply on the tiled floor. Long-sleeved, form-fitting turtleneck, matching beige shorts with sheer black tights underneath. I could smell her Estee Lauder Beautiful perfume as she took the seat next to me, folding her jewelry-clad hands neatly over her Coach handbag.

"That's smart," She suddenly spoke, gesturing lightly at the woman at the counter. "She put her money inside her pocket, not her handbag."

"Oh, right."

"Nowadays, it's so dangerous to keep everything in your bag." She continued, forcing me to turn towards her and actually make eye contact. Her face was painted with make up. Thick makeup rarely works for anyone, but something told me it was for the best in this case.

"Yeah, that's true," I replied half-heartedly. I hate small talk.

"That's why I keep telling my daughter not to keep all her eggs in one basket. You have to be wise."

"Uh huh. Can never be too careful."

"Exactly," She showed me her hands. Gold and pearl designs. All matching. "I never wear a lot of jewelry anymore compared to last time. You shouldn't draw a lot of attention to yourself."

"People get robbed everywhere. I saw it with my own eyes one time in MNG."

"There was a sale, and as usual everything was in a mess. Everyone fighting over the clothes." She shuddered, reliving the traumatizing moment in her mind, probably.

"And there was this lady, she wrapped a top around her arms, and tried to take something from my daughter's handbag!!" Her eyes widened dramatically, and she paused, looking at me expectantly.

"Gosh, that's terrible," I gave an obligatory response. She kept staring at me, anticipating for more. Sigh...

"In broad daylight somemore!" I exclaimed louder, shaking my head for better effect.

She relented. "Yes! I saw it! And I confronted the lady, but the MNG people wouldn't do anything about it in the end. That's why it's crap."

"MNG used to be a classy place, with really good clothes. Now all they have are shitty clothes," She shook her head in grave disapproval. "If you want to get good clothes, you're better off going to Singapore. Much better quality."

"Yeah..." I hate small talk...

"Some girls are just asking for it. They walk around with their handbags unzipped, or swaying around their arms. Anybody can just snatch and go." She pursed her lips as they curled downwards.

I was holding my purse and cellphone in one hand. I tried to conceal my lack of street-wisdom by crossing my arms over my just-asking-to-be-taken items.

"Oh it's my turn! Counter six... OK ya girl, you take care of yourself." She patted my knee with one of her manicured hands as she got up. She has her hair wound up in a really nice bun, I realized as I watched her stroll down the aisle to counter six.

I will, auntie. By the way, you forgot your umbrella.


4:46 p.m. Photobucket