<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/6521234?origin\x3dhttp://blessedbubbz.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script> <iframe src="http://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID=3054107564476057249&blogName=url.blogspot.com&publishMode=PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT&navbarType=BLACK&layoutType=CLASSIC&homepageUrl=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2F&searchRoot=http%3A%2F%2Furl.blogspot.com%2Fsearch" height="30px" width="100%" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" scrolling="no" id="navbar-iframe" frameborder="0"></iframe> <div id="space-for-ie"></div>
Monday, June 30, 2008Y
Conversations That Enlightened Me

"So! Pictures, lemme see pictures!" Maii exclaimed as soon as we plopped down on a couple of empty seats in the train.

"I have purikura (mini sticker pics) pictures of us together," I said somewhat abashedly, taking out my purse.

She scrutinized the tiny, multicolored photos in her hands. "Hmm... He's wearing a Superman T-shirt." She laughed obligingly, her excitement slightly diminished.

"Yeah, we bought it together when we were in Australia earlier this year." I explained, but she seemed to be thinking to herself;

"Why, what's wrong?"

"Oh no noo... you guys look cute together."

"Yeah, that's why your eyebrows are all scrunched up. What's up?"

"Well..." She returned the purikura pictures to me. "I just have the feeling that you can do much better."

"Oh."

"Afterall, he's just a normal salaryman, right?"

"......"

"I'm being honest with you, Cindy. If you come and live here, you'll be able to get better, qualified men." I raised my eyebrow at her skeptically, but she continued. "You're the exact type of girl who'll be popular here. You're cute and sweet, and you're soft-spoken. Guys over here go crazy over this type of girls."

"I'd kill to be more like you, frankly. But look at me. I'm not cute, and I like to speak my mind too much to be gentle and demure. That's why I don't date Japanese men anymore." I looked at Maii, with her long, flowing black hair, curvy, firm body and immaculately made-up face, and for a moment I wanted to debate against what she said. But I would be lying if I pretended that I didn't understand what she was trying to say. She's sexy, strong and outspoken - which means she'd be a guy magnet in Canada (where she studied), but definitely not her country of origin.

"Even my brother couldn't stop talking about you since last night. How you're the sweetest girl to be with, and how happy he'd be if he had someone like you around all the time." She rolled her eyes dramatically, but I knew their sibling love ran deep.

"I guess it's coz you give out this softness that makes people want to take care of you, pamper you. Like a little puppy!" She beamed at me winningly. "Makes me feel so protective over you, like I have to call your boyfriend up and make sure he treats you right. Or else."

_________________________________

"I didn't know you have a boyfriend..." He takes a sip of his black coffee, deep in thought.

"Is he someone from R&D?"

"No. He's from QA."

"To be honest, I'm in shock. I was hoping..." Then he lets out a sheepish laugh and shakes his head.

"I'm sorry..."

"No, don't be silly. It's not your fault." He takes out his glasses and pinches the bridge of his nose, closing his eyes momentarily as if to clear out some thoughts.

"Your boyfriend is a very lucky man." He says firmly, putting his glasses back on. "If I were him, I'd never have left Malaysia."

Too bad Kazu didn't feel that way.

_____________________________________________

"Are you going to Japan for Hari Raya?" Naomi asked, flipping her desk calender.

"Nope."

She looks up from her calender sharply, obviously surprised by my answer. Then acknowledgement sets in and she nodds slowly. "I see." She smiles knowingly.

"Whaat??"

"Good for you, pet. You're too good for him. I was worried about you." She pushes her glasses up her nose. "If you live in Japan, you'll find much better men. Better options!"

So I've heard, I say to myself. "But why'd you say that?"

"You're much more smarter than him! You can be so much more without him."

3:12 p.m. Photobucket