I was at the bakery I always go to get my breakfast and lunch before heading to the office. I reached in to grab a bun when I knocked a butter sugar bun (that I didn't want) to the floor by accident.
Crap.
I had a split moment where I considered putting the bun back to the tray and pretended nothing happened, but decided against it because
I didn't want it in my conscience the whole day it was a terribly uncivilized thing to do.
Chiding myself under my breath, I picked up the poor bun from the floor, placed it in my own tray and headed over to the register.
"Can you throw this away? I'll pay for it," I told the cashier.
She stared at me blankly. "I dropped it just now," I explained with a what-can-you-do shrug.
Nodding in acknowledgement, she tossed the bun into the dustbin dutifully and proceeded to key in the prices into the cash register. I reached into my bag for my wallet.
She turned around discreetly to see if the Chinese lady manager was looking, then gave me a small smile. She didn't count the fallen bun in!
What have I done to deserve such kindness?? Grateful tears started to spill from the corner of my eyes as I muttered a thank you in between sobs.
OK so that didn't happen. I did thank her but without the tears and sobbing.
I did that in the car.