One of the Japanese staff approached me after a meeting we attended and asked if I could teach him English because “you speak like American”.. I was reluctant to because it was more commitment to this company that I’m willing to make, but I told him I would discuss with my chief because I knew there were company rules about this. I was banking on the fact that my chief would be opposed to the idea, thus helping me get out of a potentially sticky situation, but he was more than happy about the suggestion. Swt swt swt.
In any case, I couldn’t avoid the Japanese guy any longer, so we set up a time and place to meet for our first English lesson. We decided on Monday, right after working hours in one of the meeting rooms.
I prepared all the teaching materials, planned the lesson contents and printed out the necessary notes for him that day. We talked about his level of Japanese, what he was hoping to achieve, and what he expects from this lesson arrangements. All in Japanese, even though I told him specifically that we should converse entirely in English from then on if he was to get any better.
The class lasted for an hour, we were both packing up to leave, but I was left with a question. We haven’t talked about any form of payment yet. Just as I was about to bring it up, he stunned me into silence with a casual comment.
"I thought Cindy-san wouldn’t want to stay in the office after working hours because you don’t get paid OT to be here,” he said, beaming at me.
Huh??? He thought I was doing this for free? バッカじゃないの!? MISTER, I’ve never even TALKED to you before you approached me the other day. WHY in the world would it even occur to you that I’d do this as a favor??
ありえないっつの。
The friggin’ nerve. Do I have a sign on my forehead that says ‘DIMWIT TEACHES FOR FREE’!?
I knew there’d be more than one reason I was dreading to start this stupid project.
After clearing things up with him, he seemed a bit flabbergasted by my straightforwardness (Japanese courtesy be damned; I am a MALAYSIAN WHO KNOWS MY RIGHTS) and said he didn't realize the other Japanese staff were paying for their English lessons as well.
Lamest Excuse of The Year Award committee, I have found you a winner.
I told him the current rate for private English lessons, and mentioned that most of the foreign staff here get reimbursements from the headquarters. His eyes lit up as he sees another opportunity to be a cheapskate and avoid paying for himself, and said he'll talk to the people in charge about this.
Fair enough. I've had it up to HERE with some of the people in this company.