I thought I’d make porridge for the sick boyfriend last night, but all I had in the kitchen was sushi rice so I used that despite my better judgment.
Note to self: sushi rice will never turn into porridge.
Plus I was doing a hasty job coz Shaun and Michelle were checking on me every few minutes (or maybe it just felt that way…?) to see if I was done with the kitchen.
Note to self: never allow self to be rushed when dealing with boiling substance.
It was a disaster. My first attempt to cook for the boyfriend something besides hot chocolate and I blew it. I insisted that we throw the whole pot away (asap, in fact, coz I feel my face flush with angry embarrassment juz looking at the atrocious pot of… flavored rice) but the boyfriend insisted on eating the carrot pieces till it became too much of a chore to pick out the teeny bits of carrot one by one.
He didn’t make any insulting remarks, bless his soul, but I was horrified at myself. I used to make mean pizzas and stews and cakes and what-have-you – how could I mess up a pot of porridge??
I refuse to believe that my culinary skills have deserted me. Cooking is like riding a bicycle – you can’t unlearn it. I’m just a little… out of practice, is all.
So I’m making carbonara tonight.