We were going on a steady pace; the ball flying back and forth like it was rocking to a soundtrack nobody else could hear. I was feeling good about myself – I was returning every hit! The comfortable pace made it easier to ignore the obvious fact that he was taking it easy with me.
All of a sudden he swung his racquet hard at the shuttlecock – I lifted up my eyes and saw it disappear into the glaring lights, and for a moment I was blinded by the brightness –
The shuttlecock hit me straight in the forehead - I blinked, momentarily startled. I had to blink a few more times before I could make out the blurry edges of the shuttlecock lying next to my right foot.
And then I heard the boyfriend’s laughter from the opposite side of the court; I picked up the (surprisingly hard) shuttlecock and rubbed my forehead gently.
My boyfriend is a big bad bully who preys on amateur players. =P