The evening sunlight spilled through the huge windows, paying no heed to the sheer, lacy curtains fluttering gently against the glass. White, homey tables and chairs, a long glass display exposing glorious cakes, dainty cupcakes and scones, a colorful mural wall with paintings of trees and birds and butterflies – everything seemed to be set in slow motion, bathing in a warm, relaxed glow that seemed out of place in the city. A few customers were scattered throughout the spacious dining area, the atmosphere unhurried, peaceful.
I turned to the man sitting next to me, his crisp purple sleeves folded neatly up to his elbows, his company tag still hung over his collared neck. He was picking on toffee-drenched bananas slices on top of the Banofee cake. I let out a sigh, my heart so full it felt ready to burst. I wanted to etch this moment, every seemingly unremarkable moment of this day into my memory, to be able to revisit this feeling. I wished I could somehow bottle up this concoction of happiness, peace, contentment that I chanced upon today.
Sitting in the car, listening to the Pagi crew’s crazy antics, catching each other’s eyes and laughing even though we were stuck in morning traffic.
Finding his car waiting right outside, he waiting patiently with an elbow resting on the window edge. Filling each other with details of our day at work as soon as I clasped my seatbelt shut.
Having a dinner date on a working Monday. Now. This very moment, slurping on a Paw Paw Passion in a restaurant I’d wanted to try for months, fretting over the pesto flecks stuck in between my teeth after the boyfriend casually brought it to my attention.