We were brainstorming for a contest name.
“How about The Shopaholic Contest?” I suggested, sneaking a peek at her Macbook screen. 12.34pm. My stomach growled as if on cue.
“The word’s too negative. It implies that the shopper is diseased, flawed or something,” she explained as she fiddled the hems of her short tartan skirt. Worn over a pair of black lacy leggings so new I almost expected the price tag on it.
“Just because a person loves to shop doesn't mean she has no control over her own shopping habits,” she continued a little too defensively.
“Right?” she tilted her head towards my direction, a slight edge in her voice. I looked up from the flowery doodles on my notepad and nodded obligingly.
“People shop because they love to.” She toyed with her gaudy gold bracelets (also new) absentmindedly, staring off to space. “It’s a hobby, something you do to make yourself happy.”
“I hate it when people use that word. It’s so negative.”
Hoo-kay. I think I hit a nerve there.