The last time I took public transport in Malaysia was in 2002. I'd just started college in KL and had to take the public bus to the Subang campus. That arrangement lasted about six months, but I have my share of sweaty body-cramming and waiting-in-the-pouring-rain stories.
And now that I'm starting work next year in Menara Maxis, situated smack in the middle of the Mother of All Jams, I might have to resort to public transport again. Whoopee.
So I decided to try out the route. Followed the boyfriend to work, had breakfast at his workplace, had the boyfriend walk me to the nearest station and I was off to fend for myself in the big, bad, ruthless world of KL city.
On one hand, I was pretty confident and cocky about it (I mean, pffft, what is this compared to the mind-boggling subway systems in NYC and Tokyo?? Pffft pfft), but on the other hand, I was more than a little apprehensive coz of the international recognition KL has achieved for creative crime tactics (everyone has a hypnosis/smell-trance/cute-kid-as-distraction story to tell), chart-topping bad mannerisms and taxi drivers that are worse than our public toilets.
Ok the last one had nothing to do with the LRT; I just thought it adds to the Malaysian charm I'm referring to.
Nevertheless, I shall be objective. The escalators were a little too slow IMHO, but I was pleasantly surprised that people now stand on the left, leaving the right side for those in a hurry. And people line up before getting into the train now, although the metal-chain crowd controllers deserve more credit than the actual civic-mindedness. =P And I'm certain the commuter crowd'll be much worse when I start work next year, especially during rush hour (it's New Year's Eve today) tho, so we'll have to wait and see.
Me sipping a triumphant mug of green tea latte in the Starbucks at KLCC. *beams* I wanted to smile into the camera, but vanity gave in to self-consciousness, so I ended up looking like I'm being smell-tranced.
Oh well. At least my hair looks good. ^0^
Does anyone think I need to tweeze my eyebrows? Hmm... *furrows said eyebrows*
Note: Smell-tranced means being hypnotized by scent. Like how my cousin got duped into buying a RM20,000 massage chair after being approached by a saleslady. He said the last thing he remembered after waking up from the trance was a exotic sweet smell the lady emitted while talking to him.
At least, that's his defense story for buying a RM20,000 massage chair from a total stranger on the street.